Frank Newman recently wrote an article in the Property Plus magazine titled “ Perils of being a Landlord”. Here he outlined what he, and others, consider are the common complaints or frustrations from landlords. We have included that article below.
We agree that being a landlord can be incredibly frustrating, and that is why we offer our Property Management service to landlords and tenants. By taking away some of the ‘frustrations’ like collecting rents, property viewings and regular house inspections, we hope that our Landlords’ experience will be a positive one. Read some of our testimonials to see how we can make a difference Connect Realty Testimonials.
If you are considering buying a rental property, or have an existing property you wish to rent out, call us today for more information about the Landlord services we offer, we guarantee your experience will be a positive one.
Here is the Frank Newman Article:
Perils of being a Landlord, with Frank Newman
The term Land-lord has an aristocrat resonance about it. The reality is there is nothing easy about being a landlord. For most it’s a rude awakening into aspects of human behaviour that most prefer not to associate with. The NZ Herald (Diana Clement, 3 May) ran an interesting article recently about the perils of being a landlord. Here are some key points.
The most common complaints or frustrations from landlords were:
• Not getting paid! In 2013 there were 45,093 applications nationwide to the Tenancy
Tribunal. 41,496 or 92% were from landlords. The other 8% (3,597) were filed by
tenants. Most of the applications filed by landlords were for rent arrears (61%).
Given there are about 500,000 rental units in New Zealand, in any one year one in 18
(about 6%) suffer arrears that are significant enough to warrant the matter being
referred to the Tenancy Tribunal.
• Prospective tenants not keeping appointments to view the property.
• Smoking in the dwelling even though the tenants have accepted a non-smoking
condition of tenancy (and then they no doubt moan about the cost to have someone
clean the tar from the ceiling and walls!).
• Keeping pets in a pet-free property. One property owner describes it this way.
“Turning up to a property that you’ve let in pristine condition to find dog sh*t all
over the yard, dog hair inside the house embedded in the carpet, scratch marks over
the interior and exterior doors, a pervading smell of dog inside the property and
burnt patches of grass where the dog has been peeing tends to make one think long
and hard before re-renting to dog owners.”
• Tenants who claim to have paid the rent but haven’t. This shows the importance
of providing receipts if rent is paid in cash (which is suspicious in itself as they may
be using your premises to operate a “cash” business).
• Tenants who sublet the property without the landlords consent.
• Exceeding the maximum number of people permitted to live at the property, causing
overcrowding and additional damage.
• Tenants leaving piles of rubbish and belongings when vacating.
• Tenants who don’t report problems, like leaking pipes and fittings that damage
kitchen cabinets and floors. A lot of damage can be done between inspections.
• The problems often continue once the problem tenants have gone. Enforcing debts
after judgement is hugely bureaucratic, often with little to show for it or repayment
in small amounts over a very long time.
One does not have to be Einstein to work out that the problems within the rental sector are to do with bad tenants rather than bad landlords. It’s an issue that could be sorted if the regulators that are so keen to come down hard on landlords, came down hard on tenants.